Changing Portraits

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:02 PM

Hi there. I want to change the portrait of the characters for the Character Select and Versus screens, but I'm not sure how to do it without messing up the characters' moves and sounds. Can you kindly please help me out? Thank you very much wink.gif.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said:

Let there be the Ultimate Light.

#2 Evilness

Evilness

heh! Die You Fool!!!

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

open the chars sff file with fighter factory and the default sprite for select screen and vs screen is the slot 9000,1.

edit move or do what you want with that slot as long as it exists there.

#3 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Wait a sec Evilness, I was told by a member over at The Mugen Guild forums that I need to use Paint Shop Pro to convert them to .pcx then use Mugen Character Maker to replace the current one. But I end up messing it up afterwards.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said:

#4 Evilness

Evilness

heh! Die You Fool!!!

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

oh so you want to change with another hehe.

well yes you need to convert them to .pcx but also make sure that the pic has the 256 colors or you can make it 256 colors in paint shop pro.

the best thing to do now is to replace it with fighter maker i had some problems with mcm tring to change it you can delete the 9000,1 slot or move it perhaps using 9000,2 if your char dosent use it but its best to add the sprite manually and not having the older sprite in the way.

damn i suck at explaining.

#5 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Hey, don't feel bad. I suck at trying to tell the problem. Besides, I've already converted them to .pcx but, it's resizing not by color, but shrinking them that's giving me trouble. You're doing good wink.gif *tch*.

Edited by Yuri Anderson, 06 March 2006 - 08:27 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said:

#6 r1sky

r1sky
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

they way i do it is use mcm to open the .sff of that char and export the sprite to pcx. and replace the potrait with the char i want to use it on by replacing over the old sprite. sometimes u may need to resize it to how the original's was.

Edited by r1sky, 06 March 2006 - 08:31 PM.

#7 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

Oh great, that's what I tried to do the first time, but the colors went messed up. I'm unable to resize the image.

Edited by Yuri Anderson, 06 March 2006 - 09:03 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said:

#8 r1sky

r1sky
  • Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:46 AM

just open it in photoshop or some other editor and look for a "canvas resize" option. most editors have this option, it differs from "image resize".

#9 Otaku Ichise

Otaku Ichise
  • Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:47 PM

Yuri for those colors not to apear messed up, you must reduce color to 256 colors 8 bit and it will apear fine those colors, use Irfan view for it.
Posted Image

#10 XDIeTryiNG

XDIeTryiNG

NuNyA BIzNeS...

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:07 AM

First, are you using a random picture and making it into a portrait?
If your just changing the portraits for someone elses, export the pcx's for the new portrait you want to use. Use fighter factory, on the sprites tab, hit change, find that new portrait you want to use. You don't need to reduce since it's already a PCX. And watch for the position of the portrait as some change when you add it to the Sff. Try to remember the previous portraits position, use that position for the new one or make adjustments to align it correctly.

And usually when a portrait is messed up its because the "shared palette" option is checked, uncheck it.
Posted Image

#11 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

Ah, forget it. It's a waste of time and patience.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said:

#12 Igniz

Igniz

The Lord of Makai

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

Actually, and to tell you the truth, changing portraits is one of the easiest things to accomplish in MUGEN.

Posted Image
Satsui no Hadou ni Mezameta Igniz

#13 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

Easiest? *sigh* I guess I still have a lot to learn on Mugen. But, I'm so unfamiliar with programs like Mugen Character Maker and Fighter Factory that I'll simply get frustrated and mess up.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said:

#14 Igniz

Igniz

The Lord of Makai

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hey, it happened to us all at sometime during our mugenization.

Look, first of all, you don't need to export the original or current portraits to change it for another.

Also, ANY image that you like can be placed as portrait, as long as it's a PCX at 256. The easiest way to accomplish this feature is with Irfanview (you can get it here). Just open the image with this program, go to Image->Decrease Color Depth->256 Colors (8 BPP), save as PCX and that's all.

You must know that the standard sprites for portraits are 9000,0 for the small Select Screen portrait; 9000,1 for the big one in the VS, screen; and 9000,2 for the one in the lifebars during the fight (it will use 9000,0 if there's not 9000,2). If you're using WinMugen, I highly recommend you to include sprite 9000,2, even if you repeat the one in 9000,0. On a final note, 9000,2 must be "shared", while 9000,0 and 9000,1 not.

OK, let's integrate it to the char using MCM. All you have to do is to use the button Change Sprite and select the new portrait, but be sure to uncheck these two "shared" boxes:

user posted image

user posted image

Now save changes and it's all done. Hope you understand me.

Posted Image
Satsui no Hadou ni Mezameta Igniz

#15 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

I do. I'll try my best.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said:

#16 Yuri Anderson

Yuri Anderson
  • Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:31 PM

That's it, I have had enough of this! By trying to change the selection and vs. portraits caused the character to be completely messed up and I'm sick of it, MCM and Infraview! Maybe it's best that I let the pros do this and wait until their characters come out mugenized.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yuri Anderson said: